- Do I need a tag sale permit?
Yes. A tag sale permit can be issued in the zoning office or on-line Tag Sale Permit.
- How is my property zoned, what uses may be established, and what are the building setbacks?
For this information, contact the Zoning Office at (860) 584-6214.
- I want to build an addition on my house & build a deck. How close to the lot line can these structures be built?
Depending on the zoning district, it is different. Contact the Zoning Office at (860) 584-6214.
- What are the restrictions for the placement of sheds in residential yards?
A minimum of five feet from the side & rear property lines. Sheds cannot be placed in the front yard.
- What is the maximum height of detached sheds, garages and other types of accessory structures?
The maximum height is 14'. For a typical 'A' frame, the height is located by determining the mid point between the ridge & eave.
- Are there any zoning regulations regarding the location & height of fences and retaining walls?
Yes. Call the Zoning Office at 584-6214 for additional information.
- Can I operate a business from my home?
A home based business use may be limited. To determine if it is allowed, apply for a permit through the on-line permitting system. It will be reviewed by the zoning enforcement officer.
- What are the restrictions on the keeping of domesticated animals?
No more than four pets over six months of age are allowed.
- What is considered a "domesticated pet"?
Any dog, cat, or similar animal can be kept in a home. Horses, sheep, cattle, Llamas or any "hoofed" livestock type of animal are not considered pets.
- Can horses be kept on residential property?
Yes. The property must be at least two acres in size. For each additional horse, an additional 1/3 acre is required. The maximum number of horses is five. Contact the Zoning Office (860) 584-6214 for more information.
- Are there any restrictions regarding the parking of vehicles on a residential property?
Yes. Vehicles are prohibited from parking on the required front yard. Only one unregistered motor vehicle is allowed. The maximum length for a boat parked in a residential zone is 28'.
- Are there any limitations on how many dwelling units can be built on a lot?
Yes. Only one dwelling is allowed per parcel.
- Is the displaying of signs regulated by the City of Bristol?
Yes. Contact the Zoning Office at (860) 584-6214 for more information.
- Does the zoning officer enforce covenants or deed restrictions in sub-divisions?